We have all been watching the news, concerned about those who live and work in Houston. It is truly heartbreaking to see the devastation they are going through right now. We can only hope the worst is behind them.
Now is the time for us to come together to help those so profoundly impacted by the floods. We need to let them know we are there are them – today, tomorrow and in the weeks and months to come.
Here are some links for organizations currently accepting monetary donations as shared by Huffington Post:
For in-kind donations, including blood, please check into these organizations:
- South Texas Blood
- Texas Diaper Bank – currently accepting donations but may take in-kind as well
- Feeding Texas
And finally, as an industry, there are ways we can step in to help the residents of Houston – both apartment renters and single-family owners.
- Consider offering model and vacant units as temporary housing. Airbnb is waiving its fees right now, this might be an option as well.
- Host meals for those who are displaced or for First Responders and volunteers in the field, or even better for all.
- Take moment to promote donation channels on your social media channels. Feel free to use this blog post to share some links.
- Engage your residents and collect in-kind donations of clothing, toiletries, household items, etc.
- If your property is pet friendly, consider becoming a foster to displaced pets. Or wave pet fees for any current residents who want to become a foster. Check out The Animal Defense League of Texas or San Antonio Pets Alive to sign up.
Although the devastation is happening right now, Houston is forever changed and will need assistance for weeks, months and potentially even years to come. I know what the multifamily industry is capable of and I urge you to consider holding donation drives throughout the year to help those in Houston – don’t let this be a one-time donation.
We can all help to build up this community to be #HoustonStrong once again!
~ Much love from the Package Concierge Team